Step 1: HAVE FAITH!
We are taught the importance of faith when expelling demons in Matthew 17:
14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Step 2: Get some oil.
Any sort of mineral oil will do. Some examples are olive oil, baby oil, and vegetable oil. You do not need very much, just a small amount.
Step 3: Consecrate the oil.
Ask for God to bless the oil. There is nothing specific you have to say, but an example of what to say is “God I ask that you bless this oil in Christ’s name so that I may use it to protect ____ from evil.” Fill the blank with whatever you want to anoint: a person, your house, a specific room, etc.
Step 4: Anointing
- Put a small amount of oil on your finger tip (or finger tips if you are using multiple fingers).
- Make a cross on the subject you are anointing.
- As you make a cross say something like this “I pray for the protection of the blood of Jesus Christ over ______. In the name of Christ, I rebuke all evil.” If you are anointing a person you would insert their name into the blank, if it is an object then you would insert whatever it is into the blank.
- When you are done anointing, say a prayer giving thanks and glory to God for his protection and blessings.
When you say prayers to bless the oil and give thanks to God you can say those prayers silently, but when expelling demons you should say it loud and clear. Demons are not all-knowing like our God and therefore cannot hear your thoughts. You are telling them to get out so you need to say it outloud.
If you are anointing a room or house, etc you should anoint all points of entrance: doorways, windows, vents, electrical outlets, TVs, radios, computers, closet doors, attic entrances, etc.
To anoint a doorway make a cross on the top, left and right side of the door frame, asking for protection and rebuking evil each time you make a cross.
To anoint a window or other point of entrance which has four sides, do the same as above but on each side.
Once you expel demons it is important to do two things:
1. Replace the evil spirits with the Holy Spirit. Matthew 12 tells us that if we do not replace the evil spirits with the Holy Spirit that the evil spirit will return bringing with it 7 worse spirits:
43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.
2. Do not allow evil spirits back into your house. If you invite someone into your house who has an evil spirit attached to them, the evil spirit may stay in your house and you will need to anoint again. Evil spirits can also return to your home through your televisions, radios, computers, etc if you watch, listen or look up anything sinful. If you feel worried that evil spirits have returned you should anoint again as a precaution.